Sterling Heights Tax Lawyer
Facing your tax liability may be intimidating, but there’s no reason for you to handle this all on your own. Reach out to a Sterling Heights tax attorney at the W Tax Group. We can walk you through the entire process of eliminating your tax liability.
Do you owe back taxes? Did you fail to file a return or two? Speak with a Sterling Heights tax lawyer about your tax liability situation today. You’re not the only one who owes money in back taxes, so try not to let the stress overwhelm you. Many Americans find themselves struggling to pay their tax liability.
The important thing is that you decide to get your tax liability under control. Figuring out how to do that is easier said than done—that’s why you haven’t done it yet. But there may be programs out there that you don’t know about, and they may be able to help you get your tax bill paid. Contact our office today to discuss resolving your tax issues.
Consequences You Could Face for Tax Problems
When a person falls behind on paying their taxes, they don’t usually do it on purpose. It’s not as though people want to get tangled up with the IRS. Sometimes, though, life happens, and before you know it, you’re in liability and you don’t know what to do. Some people end up ignoring the problem because it feels too big to deal with.
This is completely understandable behavior. But ignoring the problem won’t make the IRS suddenly forget that you owe them money. They know, and they have a lot of ways to get what they’re owed.
They have even more tools today than they had in the past, and with the Internet connecting everything, it’s easier than ever for them to find you and get the money they’re after.
The list below showcases a few of the negative consequences that can result from not paying your taxes:
- You could receive threatening letters from the IRS.
- Your wages could be garnished.
- Your bank accounts could be levied.
- Liens could be placed on your personal property, such as vehicles and boats.
- Your vehicles, personal property, and home could be seized.
- You could lose your passport.
How a Tax Attorney in Sterling Heights Can Help
Even though you probably realize that you need to do something about your back tax liability or unfiled tax returns, you may be too overwhelmed to begin. If you try to file your taxes or communicate with the IRS on your own, you could actually put yourself in an even more unfavorable position on accident.
You can’t be expected to know all of the tax laws, and it’s likely in your best interests to have a Sterling Heights tax attorney assist you with the resolution of your tax liability. Your lawyer can examine your situation, your income, and your liabilitys to come up with the best possible solution for you.
There are many programs out there to help you get out of liability for good. The following are a few options your attorney could work out for you in order to relieve you of this burden for good:
- Offer in Compromise – An offer in compromise is when you make an offer to the IRS or the state of Michigan to settle your tax liability. If the government believes that your offer is fair—given your tax liability, your personal situation, and your income—they may agree to it.
- Installment Agreement – Payment plans can help you pay off tax liability without having to pay it all in one large lump sum.
- Currently Not Collectible – Some people can’t pay their taxes because they really don’t have the money. If that’s the case, your lawyer can show the IRS or state that you qualify to be placed in currently not collectible status.
- Penalty Relief – You may qualify to have penalties removed if you have a really good reason for filing your taxes late.
- Lien/Levy Release – In some cases, your attorney may be able to get the IRS or the state to release a lien or levy.
Make the Call to a Sterling Heights Tax Attorney
It doesn’t matter what circumstances caused you to fall behind on paying or filing your taxes. The important thing is to commit to getting things settled. The average person isn’t an expert tax lawyer, and it’s understandable if you need some help when dealing with the IRS.
Get in touch with a Sterling Heights tax lawyer to discuss your tax situation. We offer a free tax liability evaluation when you contact the W Tax Group. Just dial 1-877-500-4930 or fill out the online contact form at the bottom of the page.