Ann Arbor Tax Lawyer
Working with an Ann Arbor tax attorney could make all the difference in the outcome of your current tax situation. Reach out to the W Tax Group today to put your tax problems behind you.
Whether you owe the federal government or the state of Michigan money in taxes, you’re bound to be stressed about what will happen when they catch up with you. It may take a few months or even a few years, but eventually they will get you in their sights, and they have excellent aim.
The government is the largest collection agency in the country, and they have the law on their side. They have many ways to get you to pay up, and some of those ways are pretty nasty. They can take funds directly from your bank accounts, take money from your paycheck, and seize your personal property.
If you don’t want things to reach that point—or if you’re already there—get help now. Call a qualified Ann Arbor tax lawyer right away.
Why Hire an Ann Arbor Tax Attorney?
One of the main reasons you haven’t faced your tax debt is likely because it’s overwhelming. If someone just told you what you have to do to get the situation resolved, you’d probably do it, right? It’s the process of dealing with the IRS and finding a program that will work for your personal situation that’s so intimidating.
When you hire a tax relief lawyer in Ann Arbor, you will have someone on your team who can communicate with the IRS or the state on your behalf. Your attorney can argue your case with the government and get them to agree to repayment terms that you may not have been capable of negotiating for yourself.
Below are some of the tax relief programs the government offers. One of these programs could be the one for you. Your lawyer will analyze your situation, your income, and your debt to find which of these you’re eligible for.
- Installment Agreement – Monthly payments may be just the thing you need to get your tax bill under control. Your attorney can negotiate monthly payments for you so you can pay off your tax bill and put this all behind you.
- Penalty Relief – Some people have a legitimate reason for not paying their tax bill on time, such as being in the hospital. If you can show proof that you have a “good” reason for being behind, the IRS may agree to waive penalties associated with your overdue tax bill.
- Currently Not Collectible – Some people can’t pay their taxes because they are currently unemployed or in a similarly difficult financial situation. Your lawyer may be able to get you qualified for currently not collectible status, which means you’ll stop being harassed by the IRS or state collectors.
- Offer in Compromise – A settlement agreement can allow you to pay off your tax debt without paying the full amount owed. Certain eligibility criteria must be met. Your tax attorney will be able to see whether you qualify.
- Lien/Levy Release – In some cases, it may be possible to have a lien or levy released. Your lawyer can show the IRS that a released lien could actually help you pay your tax debt.
What Can the IRS Do if You Don’t Pay Your Taxes?
Believe it or not, the IRS doesn’t actually want your house. As nice as it probably is, they don’t want to go through all of the trouble of seizing it and then selling it. That’s a lot of work for them, so they’d much rather that you just pay off your tax bill.
However, they will go to extreme lengths to collect what you owe in back taxes, and taking your personal property is one of the options they have. They can also do the following:
- Send threatening letters
- Take your passport
- Place liens on your property
- Levy your paychecks and bank accounts
- Seize your property
Reach Out to an Ann Arbor Tax Attorney
You didn’t intend to become indebted to the IRS, but it happened—now it’s time to fix it. Trying to come up with a tax solution on your own is difficult, and you may not be able to find the program that best meets your needs. Working with an experienced lawyer can help you get your tax situation under control.
When you call the W Tax Group, you’ll speak with an Ann Arbor tax lawyer who can match your tax situation to a program that will work for you. Our office even offers a free tax debt analysis to prospective clients. Simply fill out the form below or call us directly at 1-877-500-4930 to schedule your free consultation.