How To File An Amended Tax Return

Back to Tax Relief Research

How To File An Amended Tax Return

Here’s what taxpayers need to know about filing an amended tax return

At the W Tax Group we often have taxpayers come to us after they discover they made a mistake on their tax return. Small tax return oversights are not reason for great concern, however you should address them immediately by filing a Form 1040-X or what is known as an Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.

Here are some common reasons you may need to file an amended return:

  • Entering income incorrectly
  • Not claiming credits for which they’re eligible
  • Claiming deductions incorrectly

If you’ve made this type of mistake on your return and need advice on filing an amended return or other tax advice, you can reach out to us here for a free and full tax consultation.

In some instances the IRS may correct math or clerical errors on a return and may accept returns without certain required forms or schedules. In these instances, there’s no need for taxpayers to amend the return.

If your situation calls for you to amend your tax return here are the top tips you should know:

  • Taxpayers may now use tax software to file an electronic Form 1040-X. At this time, only tax year 2019 Forms 1040 and 1040-SR returns can be amended electronically if the original 2019 tax return was also filed electronically.
  • Taxpayers who cannot or chose not to file their 1040-X electronically should complete a paper Form 1040-X.
  • If filing a paper 1040-X, mail it to the IRS address listed in the form’s instructions under Where to File. Taxpayers filing Form 1040-X in response to an IRS notice should mail it to the IRS address indicated on the notice.
  • Attach copies of any forms or schedules affected by the change.
  • File a separate Form 1040-X for each tax year. When mailing amended returns to the IRS, place each tax year in a separate envelope and enter the year of the original return being amended at the top of Form 1040-X.
  • Wait – if expecting a refund – for the original tax return to be processed before filing an amended return.
  • Pay additional tax owed as soon as possible to limit interest and penalty charges.
  • Taxpayers should file Form 1040-X to claim a refund within three years from the date they timely filed their original tax return or within two years from the date they pay the tax, whichever is later.
  • Track the status of an amended return three weeks after mailing using the Where’s My Amended Return? tool.
Back to Tax Relief Research