How to File Back Tax Returns

How to File Back Tax Returns

People get behind on filing their tax returns for many reasons. Sometimes, tax time just sneaks up on you. You may not file because you know you will owe on your taxes. And some people don’t file because they can’t find the documents they need to file the return properly.

Whatever the reason you’ve put off filing your tax returns, there’s no better time than now to file. If you continue putting them off, you increase your chances of some negative consequences hitting you. Some people who are behind on filing their tax returns are embarrassed to file or simply don’t know how.

One of the easiest ways to get your back tax returns filed and off of your radar is to work with a tax attorney. Your lawyer will help you get everything straightened out with the IRS.

Filing Your Back Tax Returns

Filing back tax returns is similar to filing a timely return. You just need to be aware that you will likely be hit with penalties for filing and paying late. Here’s the step-by-step process:

  • The first thing you should do is prepare all of the documents you need to file your return. You may need to request any missing documents.
  • Next, you should make sure you (or your tax resolution firm) are using the correct information for the tax year you’re filing for. Tax laws change all the time, so it’s important to be updated on all the laws and use the appropriate forms for that year.
  • Finally, submit your tax return to the IRS.

Again, your attorney can help you if you’re overwhelmed or missing documents.

Get in Touch with a Tax Lawyer at the W Tax Group

Filing back tax returns is an overwhelming endeavor, especially if you haven’t filed for several years. You might even be unable to find certain documents you need to file an accurate return. But your tax attorney at our office will be able to get those returns filed once and for all.

In addition, we can help you set up installment agreements or utilize other programs if you find you owe taxes and penalties once those returns have been filed. Get in touch with the W Tax Group for your free consultation with a tax lawyer. Dial 1-877-500-4930 or fill out the form below.