Tax Counseling for the Elderly

Tax Counseling for the Elderly

Are you interested in learning more about tax counseling options for older adults? Reach out to a tax attorney at the W Tax Group for more information.

Tax matters are difficult for many people to understand, and that includes the elderly. Income tax return preparation is complicated and confusing, and it’s easy to make mistakes—just ask those who have been audited.

That being said, the IRS does expect seniors to file returns and pay their taxes, as long as they make over a certain amount of income. For instance, if you’re single, under sixty-five years old, and make over $10,400, you are expected to file a tax return.

Although tax preparation is difficult for most, it can get even more difficult as a person ages due to changes in laws, technology, or cognition or a lack of income needed to hire a tax professional for help.

If you or someone you know is over age sixty and in need of tax help, there may be a way for you to get tax issues handled for free. This is due to a program that empowers seniors to get the tax help they need.

You aren’t alone, and you don’t have to struggle with getting your tax matters under control. Speak with an attorney who understands the Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) program and can put it to work for you.

A Program to Help Seniors with Their Tax Issues

The Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) program was created to help those sixty years old or older obtain free tax assistance. Eligible organizations, usually nonprofits, can enter an agreement with the IRS to provide tax help to those who need it most.

The organizations can apply for program grants, and if they qualify, the IRS then delivers the funds to these participating organizations. The AARP is one of the participating organizations.

These nonprofit associations then set up the program and reimburse those who have agreed to provide tax help to the elderly. The volunteers are IRS-certified tax professionals who are not paid for their time but are reimbursed for transportation expenses, out-of-pocket costs, meals, and other expenses.

Tax return assistance is generally provided to elderly adults during the normal tax season, from January 1 through April 15, but those running the program are usually kept busy with activities year-round to ensure that elderly taxpayers receive timely and high-quality tax help.

The volunteers will meet with elderly taxpayers at designated locations. The volunteers can provide one-on-one tax help, or you may be able to prepare your tax returns yourself and simply ask questions of a professional nearby (if self-prep is available in your area). Different people may need different levels of assistance.

Do You Qualify for TCE?

This program is available for those age sixty or older who need either tax counseling or help preparing their tax returns. There is no application needed, and the program is free for you; all you need to do is search in your local area to find the nearest location where the Tax Counseling for the Elderly program is being provided.

The TCE volunteers will meet at specific locations to provide the tax help seniors need. These locations may include community centers, libraries, schools, or malls.

You can access a search feature on the IRS website. This tool allows you to search your area for a TCE location near you. You can also call 888-227-7669 or contact a tax professional at the W Tax Group for help.

What Other Help Is Available to Seniors?

In addition to free tax help, the IRS offers other helpful resources to the elderly. There is a tax guide for seniors, as well as information on where you can learn more about credits for the elderly. If you have any questions, a tax attorney at our office will know more about the Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) program.

What If I’m Not Elderly and I Need Tax Assistance?

If you haven’t reached the age of sixty and you need tax help, you can still get the help you need. If you work with a tax attorney at our office, you can receive help with the following:

  • Filing Tax Returns – If you need assistance with filing tax returns, you can get help from a professional at our office.
  • Setting Up Payment Arrangements with the IRS – Our office can communicate with the IRS on your behalf to set up payment arrangements known as installment agreements. Many taxpayers can’t afford to pay the IRS one lump sum, but they can pay slowly over time.
  • Offer in Compromise – In some situations, the IRS will agree to settle tax liability for less than the full amount you owe. This is known as an offer in compromise. We’ll have to look into whether you qualify for this settlement option.
  • Currently Not Collectible – If you aren’t currently employed or you have another valid reason you can’t pay your tax liability right now, your tax professional can show the IRS that you’re currently not collectible. The IRS will then pause collection efforts until you are once again capable of paying back tax liability.
  • Tax Audits – If you’re being audited by the IRS, we can help with that process, as well. We’ll make sure your rights aren’t violated and that you are treated with respect during this process.

Learn More About Tax Help for the Elderly

Let’s face it—filing taxes each year is not much fun for any of us, but it’s often even more difficult for seniors who are living on a fixed income. If you need tax help, you may be wondering where to get that assistance. That’s where the TCE program comes in. It was created to make tax assistance available to the elderly.

To learn more about tax counseling for the elderly, reach out to the W Tax Group to speak with a tax attorney today. Call our office at 1-877-500-4930 or fill out the online contact form below.